Monday, April 23, 2012

Week Five Down

I'm entering nearly the middle of my maternity leave, can you believe it?

I did laundry this weekend and have started to cull some outfits that Baby Sister no longer fits into.  And while I was feeding her this afternoon, it occurred to me that she's losing that "new baby" look!

Ah well, she's not that big--yet!

And as such, I ditched her for half an hour with Dr. Mad Scientist and Chunky and I ran up to the corner garden store (I just wasn't in the mood to deal with Home Despot!) for some more dirt.

I recycle my dirt year to year and mix it with fresh compost every spring but this year I wanted to go bigger and better with my pot potatoes.

Now, you could go out and spend a fortune on a giant pot to plant your potatoes in at your local corner home and garden store or your big box store like Home Despot, but why?  

In the home storage section of your local anti-union-Chinese-slavery-manufactured-goods-small-business-killing store you may be able to find something like this:

Untitled

This is some kind of storage tub one is supposed to use around the home.  Maybe for toys in a kids' room?  I don't know.  All I know is when I saw it, it screamed:  GIANT PLANTER!

And for a bargain price of $6 I picked it up.  (Shockingly it was made in the USA, so I'm only being anti-union and anti-small business when I bought it.)

I brought it home, and with an old steak knife that I heated over an open flame (be careful with this!) I cut drainage holes in the bottom of the "planter."

Untitled

And then I took my seed potatoes that are the fifth generation from the grocery store potato I planted back in 2007 (we've been in Jersey too long!) and planted them in a few inches of dirt at the bottom of the planter.

Untitled

The plan is every weekend I will add a new layer of  dirt/compost to the potatoes.  When you do this "stacking" method covering the potato plant as it springs up (or the creepy alien tendrils in my case) it will encourage more potato growth. 

And if it doesn't produce a lot of potatoes--well then I'm out $6 and a bag of dirt that I'll use again next year!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I am going to have to try this!

There is always a way around those big China Super Stores!!

Love, Mom

PS: Can't wait to see it in two weeks!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

But if it works like it's supposed to work, you could get as much as 10 lbs of potatoes ... which would cost about $6 ... so next year, if you do it again, your potatoes are free. Good planning!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Our grocery store was selling those buckets as "ice buckets". We bought 5 of them at the end of last year for about a dollar a piece. They come in handy for sticking things in when you're cleaning up and just need a temporary storage container.

I didn't think about using them as planters. Maybe I'll give that a try (mine are an obnoxious green color)

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

perfect planter, it even has handles!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Can't wait to see your potatoes!

I've been meaning to try to grow some vegetables in pots on my sun porch, since I moved into my current house 7 years ago, but all I've ever gotten around to planting is salad greens.

I feel lazy now, reading about your pot garden endeavors, LOL!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I should try something like this. I've fingerling potato's that I sorta forgot about. They are alive and growing,,, would be interesting to see if it works along with the celery!

2:28 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Every year, I'm inspired by your pot-gardening adventures -- but am lucky if I actually get herbs out. I guess I need to go get that basil this weekend!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home