Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Greatest Compliment to a Knitter

Is when someone loves your handknit item so much, that when it wears out or they lose it, they ask you for another one.

You'll remember (or not!) a hat I made for my nephew back in 2008 when my brother was PCSing (military-speak for moving) to Colorado from North Carolina.

My brother's wife emailed me to say that she had meant to ask, but felt kind of bad asking, if I could make him a new one.

Now I don't know what happened to the first one and if I had to guess I'd say he probably lost it.  Which, as the mother of two boys myself, I totally understand.

I was totally flattered that he loved the first one so much that he wanted a second one.  How could I refuse a request like that?

Well, and let's be real:  a knit hat is easy to re-knit for someone.  Now if it had been some kind of fair isle sweater or an intricate lace shawl, I probably would have said I was too busy! 

This was right before the birth of Baby Sister and I figured I'd have time to knit a bunch of stuff being on maternity leave.

Um, well here I am going into week 9 of maternity leave (it's going by too fast!!!) and I finally finished it last week.

004

The details:

Pattern:  Jackyll and Hide

Yarn:  Red Heart Sport Plus (yes, it's Red Heart, but this type is very soft--I was pleasantly surprised!)

Needles:  I believe I used US 6's on this.

Notes:  Again, this was another easy knit.  I had to stop and pay close attention at the eye holes since those were a little tricky.  Well, not really.  They seemed a little tricky if you over-think them.  If you just relax and go with what the pattern tells you to do, they turn out great.

003

I popped this in the mail late last week and hopefully it's arrived in Colorado by now.  I hope he likes the second one as much as the first one!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! it is a great compliment indeed.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Love it!! How funny.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That's an awesome hat and a compliment indeed!

Wow, week 9 already??

5:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

uThat's a really cool hat! And I agree with the other ladies - what a great tribute to your knitting skills!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home