Monday, May 07, 2012

A Little Something to Snack On

I'm going to leave you with a little something to snack on while things ramp up here.

Why?

Grandma is coming!!  Everyone's favorite blog mom is scheduled to arrive this afternoon!

We don't have much on the agenda planned--it's hard to plan stuff to do* with a 7 week old baby and a three year old (who very much defines the "terrible 3's" when he hasn't had his nap).  But that's OK.

I mean she's here to basically see the grand kids anyway!

Anyway, while I'm chillin' with Grandma--have a cookie.

005

I never understood these food blogger that tie their cookies up in ribbons or bakers' twine.  It seems like something you do for photographic purposes only.  I've never seen them presented like that in real life--too impractical.

These are pretty good if I do say so myself.  I'm calling them "Toffee Almond Breezes."  They're sort of inspired by some coffee creamer Dr. Mad Scientist is grooving on right now and just the stuff I had in my baking cupboard.

The recipe:

Preheat your oven to 350 deg.

3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teas. baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup toasted slivered almonds (you can toast them by spreading them on a baking sheet and baking for 5 minutes at 350 deg., stirring them and then baking another 5 minutes or until golden)
1 cup toffee bits

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add in the egg and then the baking soda and flour.  Finally mix in the toffee bits and almonds.  Roll into one and a half inch balls and bake for 8 to 9 minutes.

This results in about 3 dozen chewy delicious buttery toffee almond cookies!



* Of course Grandma and Grandpa Mad Scientist are coming down a week after I return back to work and we've got a lot planned for them to do when they're here--but basically because they're here longer than my mom, and they're bringing one of our nephews (who is a year older than Chunky) with them.  We have a lot of touristy NYC stuff planned basically for the benefit of Nephew.  I mean, c'mon, he's 11.  This is the trip of a lifetime! 

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Rosi G. said...

Damn, those cookies look delish!!! Too bad I'm allergic to nuts. :-( (That's why I had to leave that last job. Too many nuts! LOL)

So, what makes cookies chewy instead of crispy?? Whenever my daughter makes the recipe on the bag of the semi sweet chocolate chips, the cookies come out super crunchy. I prefer my choco chip cookies chewy but dunno how. Figured I'd ask the cookie expert. :-)

Hey, if you happen to be in Times Square during your fun times, give a holla. I work right in the middle of the madness. Would love to see you, albeit briefly!

XOXO

8:56 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ooh yum! I had everything on hand until you got to the nuts and the toffee bits.

9:11 AM  
Blogger whichendisup said...

ooooohhhhh... weak knees at the thought of those beauties. Have fun with Grandma!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Grandma time! yay! And NYC can be the trip of a lifetime for lots of people... my trip in two weeks is my first time, and I'm crazy excited :-P

12:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wish I could visit NYC! That's on my list of places I hope to visit one day before I die.

The cookies look yummy. I was wondering the same thing as Rosi G. I don't normally like to bake, but I had a craving for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and made some from a recipe I found online. Mine came out crunchy too, instead of chewy. I like the chewy ones, better.

Hope you and your mom have a fun visit!

9:33 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Those DO look yummy! I have trouble finding toffee bits -- I guess I should stock up when I see them again!

Have fun with Grandma!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

yum. I hope you're having a great visit!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Woman, you make dieting very difficult!

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home