Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Potacular

I cheated.

Usually I start putting my seedlings outside in their pots THIS week (right before Memorial Day).

But this year I put my seedlings out early--as it about two weeks ago. Right before Grandma came to visit.

What can I say?

I can count the number of frosts we got last winter on one hand.

I figured it's time for a little pictorial update.

While Grandma was here, Chunky's school had their annual plant sale. I sent him to school with $20 and he came back with tons of petunias, begonias, impatiens and marigolds. I know they're not really all that useful, but they're pretty and the money goes to a good cause.


100_1880

My box of herbs that I splurged on at the neighborhood garden store is doing well.

 100_1881
Almost too well.

That lemon balm in the middle? That picture was taken less than a week ago.

I've already cut a TON of it back to dry and it's just as big as it is in that picture.

Lemon balm might just be a nice smelling weed. Anyone know what to do with a ton of dried lemon balm?

While Grandma was here, I bought two "souvenir" mini irises. I didn't think they'd bloom this year. But lo and behold--my "Little Showoff" mini iris bloomed this week!

Untitled

It's a paler purple than I thought, but quite beautiful nonetheless. There's a second bud on there too that will probably open next week. Finally, I've got a few of my veggies to show you.

 100_1888

My potato plant!

Again, I can't believe this picture was taken a mere week ago. These taters are really going to town!

And I've been dutifully putting a layer of compost on it every weekend building it up and hopefully upping my tater production this year.

My experiment for this year is a sugar pumpkin.

 100_1886

I'm not sure how this will do in a pot. I've got three plants in there right now and I'm a bit afraid that's too many. I may thin it down to one or two in the next couple of weeks. We'll see.

In a future post, I'll share some of my tips for keeping the pesky pot garden pests at bay!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

The pot garden looks great!

I love all of the flowers Chunky picked out - all some of my favorites! My dad used to grow marigolds when I was a kid, and I loved the spicy scent they had.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had lemon balm growing in our flower beds (...and later all over the yard...smelled good when I had to mow the grass!) when I was growing up - it's a nice addition to both ice tea and lemonade.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I second lemon balm in tea, lemonade, and water. It's also nice to throw a handful in the tub when taking a bath. Since it smells so nice, sometimes i put a sprig in a flower vase.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking Good!!)

Love, Mom

6:20 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

As far as the pumpkins go, I'd thin them out to 2 plants and add more topsoil periodically. That's what I did with my pumpkins last year and I got 2 mini pumpkins out of the deal!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

Lemon balm is a great anti-viral and helps to reduce anxiety. It helps to inhibit the enzyme that "eats up" GABA (an important feel-good neurotransmitter) in the brain. Great stuff! These benefits can be achieved with a nice strong tea... or by making a tincture using vinegar as the base. Hope that helps!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home