Monday, May 14, 2012

That's a Wrap!

Whew!

What a week that was!

Here's the fast recap--

On Monday afternoon Grandma showed up.  Baby Sister, Moochie and I picked her up from the airport.  Poor Chunky had those damned state-mandated standardized tests ALL week.  Since he's in fourth grade, which is a grade they use to run the performance stats, I didn't feel like I could pull him out of school for one or two days to play hooky with Grandma.

But she settled in nicely with the two littlest ones.

gma

gma2

Tuesday we didn't do much.  The weather was kind of sketchy.  But before it rained, we took a walk to the neighborhood park that runs along the historic Morris Canal to check out the "baby geese." Moochie calls EVERY goose a "baby" goose. Except this time, we actually saw baby geese.

gma15

Wednesday we went to Costco, because I had to. The weather was again rainy so it was a good day to go.

Thursday we went to the Joann Fabric Store in Paramus.

Oh.my.god. This store opened I think a little over a year ago and I had tried going back in the fall, but I got lost. This time, I had my smartphone with the Navigator GPS thingy. I have to say, that's probably the best thing about that smartphone. Great tool to have in New Jersey.

The store was amazing. It was huge, it was clean, and it had everything! It cost me about $3 in tolls to get there, but it would have cost me that much to go to the Joann I normally go to which is simply awful compared to this one. Thankfully those tolls (and the fact that Paramus is located in Bergen county where stores are required to be closed on Sundays) will prevent me from going all the time!

Friday we had gorgeous weather and we went to the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens. They're at peak bloom right now. I'm embarrassed to say how many photos of irises I came home with!


100_1802 100_1784 100_1788

They were also having their annual plant and iris sale. Perhaps I came home with two iris plants (and a hens and chicks succulent that Moochie has declared his!). So now in the pot garden I have a couple of beautiful souvenirs of our trip there.

They're both "mini" irises, meaning they'll only grow about 8" high. One is a deep-deep purple that almost looks black (Black Bit is the name) and the other one is a white iris with blue highlights on the petals (Little Showoff).

It takes about 3 years for them to bloom. Maybe in three years we can plant them in the ground outside a house in Alaska???

Friday was also the day Dr. Mad Scientist and I left the kiddies with Grandma for the evening while we went out to eat by ourselves. Last time we did this was, oh, three years ago when Grandma was here last! That was fun, even if I did have to come home after a couple of hours like a cow.

Saturday was the last full day Grandma was here and her sister, or Auntie Jaywalker, drove down from Massachusetts to spend a few hours hanging out before heading back home. They hadn't seen each other since June 2002 when my Grandpa died.


072

Auntie Jaywalker was sitting like that to take pictures like this--


071 Blurry, I know, but it explains her weird position!

And then later that night we had an early Mothers' Day dinner of grilled steaks, salad and baked taters. I'm not really a steak person, but my Mom is and with just her and my Old Man around the house, she doesn't get much occasion to have steak anymore!

Finally, on Sunday we all (minus Dr. Mad Scientist because there wasn't room in the car and he needs his beauty sleep--wuhaha!) piled into the car at 5 a.m. to get Grandma back to the airport for the long trip home.

It made for a long day--
 gma16

But it was a FUN visit! Like I've said, hopefully the next time we see Grandma it will be because we're moving back north!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

I hope you get to move back north to see grandma more often - it's the holy grail of academics to get close to family.... my fingers are crossed for all of us.
I'm so jealous of your iris garden visit - we just cut some (with permission from the landlord) from the abandoned patch out back, and I'm loving having two vases in my kitchen :)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I'm rooting for you! Nothing quite like getting to go back home.

Also, I didn't realize mini irises were a thing. I want some!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sounds like you all had a great time!

I love the picture of your mom with Moochie and Baby Sister - she looks so thrilled to be with her grandchildren.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a GREAT time with my grandkids and kids! Those three weeks went by FAST!!!!

I've got my fingers crossed that you all make it back up here sometime.

Thanks for the GREAT week!!

Love, Mom

PS: Give those grandkids of mine a BIG KISS from me and Chunky a hug in front of his classmates!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

What a great visit~ I can't wait to hear that you're packing up down there and heading back home.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Alaska is on my list of places I want to visit. Something about it appeals to me (have no idea why). I hope you all get to move back home.

What a great set of photos. The love between your mom and the kids just shines right through the lens.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Even though I know how much you miss Alaska (and can fully understand), I feel like we won't be neighbors anymore and it makes me sad.

Yes, I'm nutz......

10:18 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Awww, looks like grandma had a nice trip and you all got to enjoy the time. Stinks that it went so fast!

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home