Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What I Did With My Long Weekend

Well, when you're dabbling at being a stay at home mom, I guess the long weekends don't really mean much.

But then again, it's an extra adult around to watch a squiggly little baby while you pee or go transfer a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer.

On Friday, while Baby Sister was taking her naps, I did a little sewing.

Untitled

Because it's finally getting hot and sunny and her head is getting too damn big for the hat I knit her (already!), I sewed her a sunhat.

This time I made the LARGEST size. It's a little roomy so she's got some room to fill it up with her gigantic noggin.

I used some of the leftover ladybug fabric (Urban Zoologie) I had from the baby blanket I made her.

I also did some baking on Sunday before it got insufferably hot.

I made  Biscoff oatmeal cookies.

What is Biscoff, you might ask? 

Have you heard of speculaas cookies? No?

Speculaas/speculoos are a traditional Belgian/Dutch cookie usually made around Christmastime -- specifically for St. Nicholas Day in early December.

Anyway, Biscoff are a Belgian spicy shortbread cookie made by Lotus Bakeries.  A commercial speculaas cookie if you will.

Someone got it in their head to make a SPREAD out of these cookies.

Untitled

Insane!

It has the consistency of peanut butter and is like crack.

Some people claim it's better than Nutella.

Hmm...I don't know if it's that good, but it's pretty darn good.

It seems wrong to make a cookie out of cookie products, but the Biscoff spread really adds a nice layer of dimension to the traditional oatmeal cookie.

Untitled

And if you're in the New Jersey area looking for this spread, let it be known that ShopRite carries it. 

However, it's extremely hard to find--or at least it was for me.  One would think it would be with the peanut butter and Nutella.

Not at my local ShopRite.

They put it in the health food aisle.

Does that mean I can pretend it's good for me?

For the rest of you that are curious, Biscoff's website has a list of what stores carry their spread here.

Trader Joe's apparently carries a knock-off spread as well if you like dropping money at that grocery store.  

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Necia said...

Walmart has it too! And, I have to make this!

2:54 PM  
Blogger florapie said...

Cute hat! And now you have me longing for spread that I know I have no hope of finding up here in the Great Green North.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Baby Sister looks so cute in her new hat! I think that she is trying to tell you/ask you....Why do I have to wear this hat in the house??

Here I am half Belgian, and I don't know anything about its food.

Love, Mom

5:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Both Baby Sister and the hat are adorable!

I've never heard of Biscoff. Never had Nutella, either. I buy it for my daughter sometimes, but I've never tried it (she had it at Girl Scout camp and liked it and wanted me to buy some). Somehow it just doesn't look/sounds appetizing to me.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Cute hat!!

11:11 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I LOVE Biscoff cookies -- they were the best thing about flying Delta, because you got them instead of peanuts -- but have yet to find the spread. Guess I'll have to check out their website....

And Baby Sister is just adorable! (And I agree with your mom -- I think she's wondering about the utility of wearing her new hat in the house!)

12:14 AM  
Anonymous AudreyGS said...

Trader Joe's calls it "Cookie Butter," and my daughter is sadly hooked on the stuff. She dips pretzels into it. I will have to try these (for her, and for science, of course, to prove whether the TJ's product is "authentic" enought!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Sade said...

I love speculoos, but I hate the paste/ spread (btw, in Belgium it's called simply speculoospasta, no this biscoff thing. Exhibit: http://images.mds.prd.skynet.be/NewsFolder/original/SKY20100420025512EM.jpg Oh, and it also comes in crunchy version!). I find that it's like whizzing up the cookies in a bunch of oil.

What surprises me is that is has already made it to the US! It's a relatively new product (2007). And it was invented apparently by a mother that wanted to make the white bread - butter - speculoos - butter - white bread sandwich even easier to make. Or something like that.


Oh yeah, LOVE the lady bug fabric! Cute hat!

2:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That sounds yummy. I have some dried blueberries that I want to put into some oatmeal cookies (maybe with some lemon peel) because I think it will make yummy oatmeal cookies.

I never got to it this weekend. It got too hot too fast. Once it moderates a bit, I'll experiment.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

cute hat and delish looking cookies!

that sweet baby is a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e!!!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yes, that means it's healthy for you. Go for it!

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home