Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Can Do

Yesterday was Rosh Hashanah and daycare was closed.

I took the opportunity to finish up the last of my canning for the 2012 season. 

I made a batch of apple jelly from the skins and cores of the apples I used to make applesauce.

Behold my 2012 canning bounty!

Untitled

Not too shabby.

We have pickled peppers, salsa, strawberry jam, blueberry jam, peach jam, applesauce (chunky and smooth), the aforementioned apple jelly, and caramel apple jam.  Oh and a can of dried corn. 

Of course Moochie's preschool has gone peanut free, so gone are the days where he'll eat PB&J in his lunch.  Bummer.

Not that it matters right now anyway...Moochie's home today with me (and Baby Sister) because he's had a reaction to something he ate, in the air, something...

Untitled

This is from Sunday.  He actually looks good in this picture.  Right now he's sporting swollen eyes and that rash all over his body.

(No, it's not poison ivy; there's been no fever; no he hasn't been outside; no he hasn't eaten anything new; no I haven't changed my laundry detergent....) 

The doctor says he's not contagious, but I can't send him to school like that.  And the Benadryl isn't really working. 

I just hope he doesn't mind that I can't come to his Christmas program now, between burning it all for maternity leave and rash patrol.  


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Nice canning haul! Had no idea you could use the skins, etc for the jelly! Poor guy! I so remember those days of burning leave for sick ones.

1:44 PM  
Blogger florapie said...

Poor Moochie!

Caramel apple jam? Num!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

16ningregiPoor Moochie!

What a great canning haul! I want to bring toast and eat over, ha!

Sucks about the days off. I am with you. I don't have anymore days off until September 2013 because of my medical stuff. Yeahhh a whole year! Yay!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

It only took me 6 tries to get the word verification correct. I am so blind.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Poor Moochie. That looks itchy and very uncomfortable.

I didn't do much canning this year. I made some sour cherry jam and we made some mixed berry jam. Our tomato plants didn't yield much and the cukes didn't yield anything so no sauce or pickles.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice canning haul!
Hope Mocchie is feeling better.

Love, Mom

12:49 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

next summer, canning. No garden for us this year! Got big plans for the spring.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

oh his little red face...poor guy. awesome canning!!!! you rock!

3:39 PM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

Poor Moochie! That looks mighty unpleasant. :(

Now. Onto other matters... Carmel apple jam? That sounds like heaven in a jar!! Care to share the recipe? Please?

8:07 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I feel bad for kids these days, what with peanut butter being declared evil. I know there are lots of kids who are seriously allergic, but I have to wonder why -- no one was allergic to PB when I was a kid....

And I, too, would like the caramel apple jam recipe!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home