Sunday, November 04, 2012

126.3 Hours

That's how many hours we went without power.  That's if you trust my husband's math.

Last night at 1:55 a.m. (five minutes before daylight savings) I was awakened by stomping on the bedroom ceiling.

"WOO HOO!  WOOOOOOOOO!  THANK YOU JESUS!!!!"

It was Upstairs Neighbor Lady screaming.

The power was back on.

Just as Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy was making landfall, we lost power at 7:20 p.m. Monday night.

The power company estimated it wouldn't be back on until 11/9.  I suppose I'm "thankful" they were early in getting our power back on.  But you know they pad those estimates to make you feel that way.

Thank you to all that offered to house us from the cold or drive in some gas (now that the power is on, that's the next big thing--getting the power on to gas stations so that gas can be pumped and the mass hysteria about a gas "shortage" can stop)!!!

We were lucky.  I had two coworkers who lost their homes to the storm surge completely.  One in Newark and one in Seaside Heights.  I have numerous other coworkers who live(d?) in Hoboken who were evacuated and they have no idea when they'll be back again.  One of my bosses has been couch surfing for a week in the unaffected areas of NYC because he can't get back to his apartment in lower Manhattan.  It's insane.

As Futurama so succinctly put it:

"Who would have though Hell really existed?"
"And that it would be in New Jersey!"

Below are pictures of the area around us.

Tree damage:

001

009

014

015

Neighbors on both sides of us had generators.

006

Don't try that at home kids.  You're supposed to keep your generator 20' away from the house to keep the carbon monoxide from being sucked back into the house.

Those things are LOUD.  Since our bedrooms are at the back of the house, where these things were cranking all night long, it was like trying to sleep at a truck stop.

But in some ways it was nice.  I remember one of the things I didn't like about that big power outtage in the summer of 2003 was that it was so silent.  I'm addicted to white noise and like to have it when I sleep.

We did a lot of things by candle-light.

029

That's my new go-to system for candles--stick them in a "holder" of crumpled aluminum foil at the bottom of a mason jar.

A lot of snuggling on the couch for warmth.

024

Chunky had a whole week off school (so did Dr. Mad Scientist) and so he played a lot with the neighbor kid outside.

019

In the end, 126.3 hours later, life is slowly returning to normal.

School is back on for everyone tomorrow.  We have our power.  The laundry is clean.  The fridge has food again.  And one car has a full tank of gas.  (Gas rationing has started).  

We're better off than a lot of our fellow New Jersinians (Jerseyans?).


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Discoknits said...

Happy that you are all safe and well. And OMG, but Chunky looks sooooo grown up!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you're all safe and things are starting to back to routines.
(dcwally)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We were so lucky not to lose power. Our neighborhood lost a few trees but nothing major. The eye of the storm sat directly over our area and kept us safe for the most part.

I've been withoug power for days, it gets old really quick.

7:52 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i'm glad that you are all safe and sound.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Good to know you made it!

Now you can hunker down for the Nor'easter.....lsfurti

10:45 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Yay!!!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey! Good to know you're okay!

I live in a fully electric building, it sucks BIG TIME when the power goes out. No hot water, no cooking, no lights in the hallways (the emergency lights only work in the stairwells...and only last a few hours...) brilliant planning...sigh. But the quiet? Oh my, it's erie.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I was wondering how you were doing. Glad you and your family are OK!

We had a lot of power outages here in the Cleveland area, too. My sister didn't have any power for 6 days. She lives across town from me though. I was so relieved that my power didn't go out, although my son's school lost power for a day, and my daughter's for two days.

I've seen news clips of the lines at the gas stations in NJ, and fights breaking out. Crazy!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you for the update, and I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay. I hope this next storm misses you.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

If this is a new weather pattern for here, I ay follow you to Alaska.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home