Sunday, January 27, 2013

Month In Review

It's nearly February!

And I haven't blogged too much this month.

Ooops.

It's the usual excuses. Work. Kids. Work. Kids.

After Christmas all of the deadlines we adjourned are starting to arrive. Tuesday I was at work e-filing a response to a motion and a motion at 11:57 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. respectively. The deadline to file motions/responses on the date they're due is 11:59 p.m. I hate that place so much.

Ever since that I've been chasing my tail at work. Things haven't been pleasant there. I'm making more of an effort to find something different.

My only worry is I'll just go from working for one DB to a new DB.

The alcoholics have a theory about this--active drinkers will move from one state/situation to a new one expecting their lives to be different/better, but they're not.

That's my fear for myself in my line of work.

But on to happier things--kids.

Chunky asked to play basketball at school this year. Which has been a nice change of pace from football--easier practices to haul a preschooler and infant to and games that only last an hour, are indoors and are just down the street at the school.

They've played four games, and so far they've won them all. Yesterday's game was the best--the two teams were very equally matched and a lot of the boys on the opposing team he plays football with. It was kind of weird rooting against these boys!

Demarest v Franklin - 1.25.13
Final score from yesterday on a crappy cell pic.

I've also had time on the weekends to do a little bit of sewing.

I saw this pattern on Pinterest and had to buy it (even though you could probably make it without the pattern--it's that simple).

Untitled

But it has changed bathing Baby Sister for the best. I don't know if she just doesn't like sitting in water, doesn't like bathing in the sink, or if she watches me give Moochie a shower (he also hates/has hated baths) but she does NOT sit down in the bath.

Wearing this little apron keeps me dry while I bathe her one-handed and it's very easy to just grab her and then wrap the bottom of the apron around her to dry her off and keep her warm until I can get her dressed.

Before I would have to hold her with one hand while she stood in the sink, arrange the towel so it draped over me just so with my free hand, and then pull her out of the sink. Invariably, I ended up more wet than her!

I also knocked another thing off my 2013 resolution to-do list.

Sauerkraut!

UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled

Freaking amazing!!! I scoured the internets for ways to make this and there's about 100 different ways.

But the underlying concept is about the same.

Cut/shred cabbage.

Pack tightly into a jar/crock with salt (non-iodized; and I went with a tablespoon for every pound of cabbage).

"Seal" the top with something to weigh it down and keep it from being exposed to the air. Most people use a plate or a wood disk. I filled a sandwich bag with water and put it on top. It form fitted to the top perfectly.

Let it sit for a period of time. I let mine sit for about a week and then I divided it up into two clean mason jars and now it's sitting in the fridge as I'm eating it.

It's got the perfect amount of tang and a slight bit of crunchiness that you don't get with store-bought sauerkraut.

There's been more excitement going around here as well, but I need to go wake up a certain baby girl for lunch. If she sleeps too much during the day on weekends, I find she likes to wake up ready to party at 2am.

I can't be going to my shittacular job all sleep deprived!






Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got your father a small crock and he uses a plate and rock to keep his down!
So Baby Sister don't like baths! It must be a thing Moochie taught her!
Love, Mom

12:18 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! A baggie of water as weight. Genius! Love the apron too - even for regular baby-bathtimes.
:0)

3:11 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Chunky is such a little jock! How did that happen??

My great-grandma made sauerkraut. I barely remember it, but I do think I liked it better than store-bought. Maybe I should try making some....

8:18 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Work is kicking my ass too. Fortunately my 2 bosses aren't d-bags. And are willing to work on the schedule so I can do both jobs.....we all need to win the lottery. clearly we are cut out for better, amirite?

9:06 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Welcome to the darkside lol of basketball!!!!!

Love the apron....perfect!

Lots of good stuff going on...hopefully that helps with the crappy work stuff.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Bezzie. I haven't been by your blog in a while, so I thought I'd stop by and see what's going on. You've been busy! Cute towel apron!

As someone who's been out of work for a year and a half, with zero luck finding another job, any job at all, I'd say be glad you have a job, even if it is shitacular! Now don't come pound me virtually for saying that, please! : )

11:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I was going to leave a comment on your post about your Grandma, but couldn't find the "meanderings" link to click on.

I'm so sorry for your loss. But how wonderful that your grandma lived long enough to meet all of her great grandchildren.

Don't beat yourself up about not being able to go to her funeral. My husband's mother passed away from breast cancer when he was 19, and he chose not to go to her funeral, because he wanted to remember her the way she was when she was alive. He didn't want his last memory of her to be of her lying in a coffin. I can't say I blame him.

When his dad passed away, his dad had been living in California, and we're in Ohio. We couldn't afford to make that long trip for the funeral (and he and his dad hadn't spoken in years anyway), so he did not go. I figure funerals are really for the living, not for the person who passed away.

Condolences to you and your family for your loss.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home