Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tuber Dreamin'

Let's move on to something more cheerful and (scarily) hilarious shall we?

The other day, and I'm not sure how we got on the topic, I was discussing potatoes with one of the attorneys I work for.

I mentioned how excited I was for spring because I would be growing the 7th generation of the original Pot Potato from that first potato I stuck in a pot on our back stairs landing at Squirrel Gables the first spring we moved to New Jersey.

Untitled

She apparently had NO IDEA how a potato grew.

I had to explain how the eyes sprout and when you stick the potato in the ground (or a pot!) and put it in the sun and water it, in a few months you'll have more than one potato.

100_1888

I might as well have started speaking Elbonian to her.

Thinking it was perhaps an anomaly that this person had survived to adulthood (and gone through much, much schooling!) without knowing how a potato grows, I pulled a couple of other attorneys who sit nearby in our cubicle neighborhood.

They had no clue.

As one so succinctly put it "I can barely bake a potato--I sure as heck don't know how to grow one!"

Ha ha!

So I've told Dr. Mad Scientist he somehow needs to work it into his lessons (even though this year he doesn't teach biology) that he teach the future generations of New Jerseyians how a potato grows.

In the meantime, I'm just waiting until the end of May when I'll likely start Round 7 of the Great Urban Potato Experiment.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

C'mon! You plant potatoes you get potatoes!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T, you stole what I was going to say!!

Not really! But it is a good one! How can you not know haw to grow a tator?

This is just sad!

Love, Mom

10:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It never occurred to me either, that potatoes are grown like that(blushing), ha, ha!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home