Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Knitted Past

You, my regular readers, know that my Grandma passed away a little over a month ago.

My Grandma was of that generation of people that didn't throw anything away.

Anything.

As my Mom and my aunts and uncles have been/have gone through her house cleaning out things, I've found a few things long forgotten from my childhood finding their way back to me.

A bit of a back story on what I'm about to show you.

I grew up in Alaska.

Now, it wasn't exactly rural like you might see on movies about things happening in Alaska (that are actually filmed in British Columbia), but it wasn't exactly as happenin' as stuff down here in the Lower 48.

I'm old enough to remember when McDonalds came to town (and later Taco Bell). Those were big deals.

So were stores like K-Mart (now no longer up there) and Walmart coming to town.

I think the way this happened was that my Grandma was amused at how excited we were to get a Kmart in Alaska. And perhaps I created my own fake store called "K-Budmart" (a play on my first name/initial and my maiden name of Budnik).

As a result, I created a catalog (that also came back to me via my mother after Grandma passed away) for K-Budmart that featured crazy products like exploding ashtrays ("Guaranteed to help you kick that nasty smoking habit!") and things like canned monkey meat and dehydrated elephant sticks that I mailed to my Grandma.

A few of these products I actually made. Like the dehydrated elephant sticks (which was just a tree twig I packaged up, ha ha!).

Last week one of the things I had LONG forgotten about that was a part of my mail K-Budmart campaign that went back and forth with my Grandma were these:

Untitled

Dismal Christmas Stockings.

The tag reads: "A free trial pair for responding to our junk mail! Best if used after Christmas to hold post-season blues!"

I'm not sure how old I was when I made these--I think it was circa 1994. Maybe? So I was 16?

Anyway, aside from the weirdo-teenager-I-was memories these stir up--I guess I can consider myself a knitter for longer than I originally really considered myself.

These are each made of two garter stitch (poorly done garter stitch!) squares sewn into tubes and together.

I'm very lucky my Grandma held on to these silly things all these years. How many other knitters get their first-timer knitterly gifted projects back? Ha ha!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

How cool that these made it back to you! The catalog sounds hilarious.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

This makes me glad I save these kind of things. One day, my kids will get back some odd things and hopefully get a kick out of them.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you would say something about those things!!
Yes! your Grandma saved everything!! Don't expect that from your father and I. Your father just got rid of a LOT of things in the boys room!!
Love, Mom

7:42 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

So you have ALWAYS been this funny! What a great story. I hope to see a pic of these dismal stockings hanging up in December :0)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Too funny! I remember when Walmart and Target came to the Cleveland area. I guess that makes me old, too, LOL.

7:08 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I love this!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

This is hilarious!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

I think I would have loved your Grandma.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home