Monday, April 22, 2013

My Dirty Secret

I'm sure THAT blog title will get a lot of hits on the internets.

But I'm coming out to you today.

Hi, my name is Bezzie, and I have become addicted to professional wrestling.

I blame Chunky. For whatever reason, he started watching it (did you know it's on three nights a week??) and even though I would sit surfing away on the computer when he watched it, I slowly became sucked into the lame, yet highly entertaining, storylines.

As many of you won't know (although I know I share this addiction with a certain other knitter whom I won't out on my blog...hahahahaha!) Wrestlemania--one of the big showcase (and pay-per-view) events took place the second Sunday of this month.

And it took place at Metlife (i.e. Meadowland) Stadium just a scant 15 miles or so from where we live.

Perhaps I looked into buying tickets for Chunky and one of his parental units to attend. Alas, I did not have $800 to spare for the cheap seats (is it any wonder Linda McMahon can run for office so many times after losing again and again?).

So we settled for the pay-per-view...which is a whole 'nother story in itself.

One thing I've learned about professional wrestling is that beside it's fan base of mostly prepubescent boys, a lot of grown men watch it.

Basement Neighbor is a devotee.

And then, at work one day as I was doing what I do at work--I overheard a conversation between a couple of attorneys in the cube behind me.

It ends up that the son of one of the named partners at my firm Schiester, Shafter, Conniver & Dodge -- Conniver Jr. -- is a BIG wrestling fan. It also helps that his cousin I guess writes for the organization's website and his father even hired an ex-wrestler to work at the restaurant they own on the first floor of our building. (I always thought that guy seemed HUGE!)

Anyway, the Monday after Wrestlemania, Conniver Jr. stopped by my desk and he presented me with something for Chunky (because I had to tell him that Chunky loved, and subsequently got me sucked into wrestling).

But before I show you what he gave Chunky there's a bit of a back story as to what I've put in the picture with it.

You see, before Wrestlemania, Conniver Jr. brought me into his sister's office to ask me to identify a textile that his grandmother had made for his sister.  (Apparently I come off as the crafty-type to people...hmm...who knew?)

It was a giant needlepoint picture of some law books and the scales of justice. Apparently, she made one for him and his sister when they graduated law school.

He said he wanted to flip the tables and make one for his grandma as a joke. But then got a little discouraged when I told him that it would have take ME months to complete such an intricate piece of needlepoint like the one he asked me to identify.

I joked that I would make him something for his Grandma that he could pass off as his own.

And so when he gave me the thing for Chunky (and these things cost $9! What a racket!) I told him I REALLY owed him the Grandma needlepoint.

Untitled

Ha ha!  So there you have it. 

It's not needlepoint, it's cross-stitch, and it's nothing fancy...but I think for a $9 cup and a good story, it's worth it. 

I hope Conniver Grandma likes it!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

That's all great! Can't say I share your fondness for wrestling (although I do know another librarian who loves it!), but the stories are great!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I used to love watching the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon when I was a wee one. I think it's changed a bit since then O.o
Great needlepoint story - do report back on Grandma's level of impressed-ness :0)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I once went to a wrestling thing with my Dad (your Grandpa). The american legion put it on as a fund raiser and my Dad was the commander so he got to see it for free and take me!!!

Love, Mom

12:17 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

They have plotlines? Really? I think we all have "guilty secrets". Mine is an extreme fondness for the A-Team.

I love the cross stitch. I helped a coworker make a Christmas stocking for his baby daughter because he wanted it to be handmade and he wanted to do it. Knitting was out and so was sewing. I got him a needle-felting kit and showed him how to do that and I embroidered on the name. It came out sweet.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

My nephew is super into it and my older brother FINALLY has someone that he is not forcing (our baby brother, me) to "wrestle" him. We all watched of course. But um yeah, it only took one wrong unstaged, non coordinated fall for us to find something else to do (clean our rooms, wash dishes, feed the chickens.)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Now I get the context of the professional wrestling comment!! Pretty cute! So nice that you and Chunky can share something. But $800 for "cheap" seats!??? Be still my heart!

1:53 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I am a huge Undertaker fan myself lol. I haven't watched it for awhile but I read about it on the site occasionally.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

That's OSSIM. And I have NO idea who the other knitter is. I am also dying to know, who is the ex-wrestler working in the restaurant?

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bezzie, that is an awesome story!

Thistlerain

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home