Sunday, May 12, 2013

Experimenting With Pot (Gardening)

There really hasn't been much to report on here that's been blog worthy.

No, I take that back, there has been a lot of stuff going on, but the kind of stuff you don't blog about lest it come back to bite you in the ass later.  I know that's vague, but it's really not sensational.

I have been puttering around in the old pot garden though.

Last year when my favorite Mommy came to visit us (and an itty bitty Baby Sister) we went to the Presby Iris Gardens in Montclair.  The irises were in full bloom and gorgeous.  The day we went they were having their annual plant sale.

For sale they had some miniature irises.

I couldn't resist.  I bought a "Forever Blue" variety and a really deep purple "black" dwarf variety.

And this weekend--almost exactly a year since Mom left to go back home to Alaska, my irises have bloomed!

Forever Blue dwarf bearded iris

Untitled

The black one's not quite open yet, but by tomorrow it should be fully bloomed.

I freaking love these things!  They wintered beautifully in their pots (I was a little worried!) and the blue one especially has really seemed to take off this year.

I've got my other pot-crops outside already too--potatoes, beans, radishes (white and red), carrots, green onion, peas and garlic (in the same pot!  GASP!), kale, a cabbage sprout that may or may not make it (damn starlings!), and some assorted flowers from the annual school flower fundraiser at Chunky's school--some impatiens, marigolds and begonias.

Still to plant I have my squash, cucumber, pumpkin, toy choi, oregano and basil.  Those will be planted either next weekend or the weekend after.

And then, after reading Alisha's post singing the joys of quinoa...I had a lame epiphany of sorts.  

I've had quinoa before, and it's good.  But there's the whole quinoa-guilt thing.  I already kill Bangladeshis buying cheap clothes, do I want to add ruining the lives of Bolivian farmers?  

Why not grow my own?

Untitled

Ok, so growing a pot of quinoa, wheat and barley isn't going to feed my family for a winter--but for less than $10 and some dirt and some water, I get to try my hand at growing something I've never grown before.

That's kind of how I view pot gardening--yes, if you REALLY go gangbusters and fill your yard with pots, you can produce a lot of food, but I look at it as test driving what I'll be able to grow in the ground someday when we have our own home and don't live in a termite infested house within mere walking distance of a Superfund site.  (I wish those last two statements were humorous exaggerations!)


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like your pot garden is going to go gang-busters!

I'm thinking of trying a thing that your father and I saw a SBS. It is called a victory garden 8.
You can find them if you google victory8garden.com.

Love, Mom

11:35 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love the way Irises look but the smell gives me a headache. Do the dwarf ones have a strong smell? My grandfather gave me some and I had to plant them way back in the yard and I can still smell them.

We are slowly planting things. I am hoping to have enough tomatoes to have to use the Squeezo this year.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love your pots...you far more adventurous then I am gardening. My poor raspberry bush never even had a chance this year...cause the weeds around it were so bad. Next year for sure!!

I feel guilty every time I eat quinoa now lol

Hope your summer went well...miss your posts!!!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home