Monday, September 16, 2013

What I Did Over My Summer

I'd start this post with apologies about how I haven't blogged lately, and I feel guilty and blah, blah, blah--and maybe some fake microphone tapping to see if the audience is still listening.

But I'm not going to. 

To be honest, I have not missed blogging.  I'll admit, I've been sucked into the quick and dirty posts of other social media outlets.  Basically kid/cat/work rant posts on Facebook and cookies on Instagram--ha ha!

Part of the reason I haven't blogged is because apparently Chunky came of computer age this summer.  He discovered Minecraft and saved up his car washing money to buy the pay-version.  Minecraft, for the unknowing is a video game that's basically electronic legos.  Between him and Dr. Mad Scientist hogging the computer all summer, I really haven't had a chance to be on.

In fact, Baby Sister ruined the computer at the beginning of the summer by pouring a can of soda on the hard drive (he may have a PhD, but he's not too bright when it comes to leaving shit out for toddlers to get their hands on), and I can count on one hand how many times have actually been on the computer. 

Geesh.

But here I am on a day off (well,  not really -- Baby Sister had her 18 month doctor's appointment today and instead of sending her to daycare, driving to Newark, working for an hour, driving back to daycare, driving to the doctor's, sitting in the doctor's office for an hour and a half, driving her back to daycare and then driving back to work, I took the day off) and I can blog.

So here's the drive-by version of what I've been up to lately.

Untitled

Pot Garden 2013!!!  Love this thing!

This year I went a bit nuts and did some experimenting with grains.  I planted a pot of wheat, barley and quinoa. 

The barley and wheat were a bust.  I think they got root bound so that they never seeded. 

But the quinoa?

quinoa

Awesome!  Ok, so I didn't get a HUGE yield, but I guess you could say I'm a process gardener at this point in my life.  I basically wanted to see if I could do it. 

Which reminds me--

potatoes

My sixth-generation potato harvest was pretty damn good this year.

And this year I also started manually journalling my garden exploits.  But all crafty-like.

garden

The monkeys and Dr. Mad Scientist are doing well. 

This is Dr. MS's "tenure year" at his school, i.e., his third year teaching there.  He technically has to teach three years and one day before he gets tenure. What does this mean for us?  Nothing really other than those damn union dues he's been paying all this time will finally pay off if he ever needs to use his union.  I hate that teaching is one of the few unionized professions where you union won't do shit for you (except take your money) unless you're tenured. 

Chunky started sixth grade this year.  It's his last year of elementary school.  New Jersey is whack when it comes to middle school.  A friend of mine who has a son in fourth grade will have him going into middle school next year too.  In her town in NJ, the middle school is 5-8.  Okaaaaay.  Never mind that the fifth graders don't change classes or get lockers (like Chunky did in elementary school and does now in 6th grade).  Sounds like they ran out of room at the elementary school and had to move kids around.

Anyway, 6th grade is a lot of homework (which I hear isn't as bad when you hit 7th grade...go figure).  So Chunky kinda felt this way about his first day of school:

arb

Mooch and Baby Sister are doing well.  This is their last year together at daycare.  Mooch starts KINDERGARTEN next year!

Here they are doing laps on the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts.

Untitled

The weekend before last, Mooch, Baby Sister and I went up to Massachusetts to visit my aunt and uncle because my sister and her husband were there as the first leg of their Northeast vacation.

Mooch got to drive my uncle's tractor,

033

And Baby Sister got to eat all their tomatoes!

034

It was nice hanging with my sister if only for a short weekend--and the next time I see her, she'll have a little one of these monkeys of her own!  Ha ha!

041

This past summer we actually took our first family vacation--to Washington D.C.

This is my favorite picture of the trip--the three of them in front of the White House.  Priceless!

kids2

My word of advice:  DON'T GO TO WASHINGTON D.C. IN JULY.  It was too effing hot.  Dr. Mad Scientist and I took turns going places with the boys while one of us stayed at the hotel with Baby Sister.  It was just too hot for her to be out and about.  She's our precious little Arctic Flower, after all!

Now that it's fall, things are finally cooling down.  God willing we won't get another hurricane or Snowtober that screws our Halloween, or you know, ruins people's homes and livelihoods...things like that.

So this fall we've been enjoying football.

kids2

We got to see the Jets play a preseason game at Met Life.  It was kind of neat sitting there and thinking that in a few short months the place would be packed to the rafters with people freezing their gonads off for the Superbowl.

And of course Chunky's back for his third season of football!

Untitled

Their opening game was this weekend and they won!  I shouldn't sound so surprised but in the two prior years, I don't think they've won five games.  And there's eight games every season.

So there you go.  What I did this summer.

Now, will I be blogging any more in the future on a regular basis?

Maybe.  I enjoyed doing the BloSchmoFoMoOctoBoBo challenge I did last year (maybe the year before that??) a while back.

I think my once-a-day posts would have to be from my phone though.  Unless we get a new computer!  



Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Batman!!! She was busy over the summer!!!
Love, Mom

5:04 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Even though I keep up with you on FB, it's nice to read a blog post. Although I don't think I've posted to mine since like March.....

9:25 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I missed you guys! Baby Sister was still a baby last time she made an appearance.

Our summer seemed to be "all wedding all the time" and now that it's finally over, it feels like we can relax. (until we start all over again for Kate's wedding next October-sigh)

6:56 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

sounds like you had an eventful summer! your pot garden looks great.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home